Bah. I still have a disgusting cold. I am having two ‘women’s problems’ simultaneously, which is really fun. And I have overspent like a complete idiot and maxed out my overdraft facility. I am going to blame Sayed for all of this. I was supposed to go out a lot this weekend but I have cancelled everything. I think I am going to make a cup of tea and clean my filthy house and wait to feel better and wait to get paid.
I sometimes wonder if my sex drive is ever going to go into decline. On the one hand, I dread that happening. It has been such a huge part of who I am for so long. I am not sure who I would be if I lost interest in sex and romance. Probably someone who is really good at Chinese. On the other hand, I would save a lot of money. A short list of things that I would not buy if I were not interested in dating.
- Clothes, or at least so many of them, and I would be less concerned about brands and more concerned about cost and functionality.
- Shoes, esp high heels. Nobody needs high heels who isn’t trying to get laid.
- Cosmetics. They are not cheap and are a danger area for impulse buying.
- Hair. I would still need to get it cut but I could permit it to have grey bits, saving money on colouring it.
- Dating. A very expensive business considering that modern women split the bill. Drinks. Restaurants. Transport. The London Underground is not cheap and London taxis are extortionate.
- Probably some more things that I haven’t thought of. General boyfriend costs. Birthday and Xmas presents. A loan here and there. Stuff like that.
Other things which are unrelated to dating but where I overspend and need to cut back immediately.
- Knitting supplies, esp yarn, magazines. It is ridiculous. I have more than enough knitting supplies to get me through the next 10-15 years. I need to stop adding to that collection right now, otherwise I will end up selling it all to pay the mortgage.
- Entertainment. Music, books in all formats, Netflix and Lovefilm subscriptions. World of Warcraft. Some of this can go. I want to keep WoW but I don’t need both Netflix and Lovefilm, one can go. Maybe both. Also I absolutely do not need any more books and music. I have enough books to last the rest of my life.
- Holidays. I had two holidays this year and in 2012 I went to Florida. I don’t need any more expensive holidays for a while. This is not an interest that I can allow to develop into an addiction or into something that I am kidding myself that I can’t do without. And in any case, I travel for business. I am hardly deprived of opportunities to travel.
- Sportswear. I have been excited about sportswear recently, as you know, but I don’t need to make any more purchases. I am all sorted. I have enough sportswear. And I have enough trainers. Definitely do not need new trainers for a while. Definitely do not need to hang around on the Nike website looking at the Nike Shox and thinking how great they would be in yellow.
Things which I do not want to cut back on.
- Gym membership. As much as it is fuelled by vanity, it is also the case that I am actually improving my health every time I go. Amongst other things, weight training improves bone density, and you need that when you are my age.
Things which I would like to invest some money in.
- Mortgage. Scary.
- New windows.
- Actual savings as opposed to just money in old business accounts that I haven’t burnt through yet.
Bah. I don’t want to be a responsible grown-up, but I am starting to feel the need. Might have to declare 2014 the Year of the Frugal and see if we can make some decent progress on the mortgage payments, at the very least.