What the hell is happening to me? I now own a yoga mat and I voluntarily signed up for a yoga class at seven o’clock tomorrow morning.
I hate yoga. I have tried it on two separate occasions and both teachers were so immensely pretentious, fake and generally annoying that my blood pressure went through the roof and I experienced violent impulses, which I gather is not really the point of it. Now I am going back for a third try. I hope there are different teachers, that’s all I can say.
The fact is, folks, I have reached a kind of turning point with exercise. I think I have got as much as I can now out of walking. I can briskly march 8 miles without passing out at the end but this is actually very time consuming even if you go at a good clip, it’s not realistic or indeed desirable to start walking 10 or 15 miles a day when other forms of exercise are available to me.
Added to this, I’ve done so much walking (I think I’ve been out nearly every day for 3 weeks) that as well as impressive muscles in my legs, I now have the impressively stiff hips of someone who’s recently run a marathon without doing much training. Hence the yoga. I need to start introducing regular and purposeful stretching into my exercise regime without delay. Can you see how in my mind I now have an ongoing ‘exercise regime’, ffs.
It is also the case that you can only do so much weight training. I mainly use it to build up the muscles in my core and upper body since the bottom half is getting a daily workout already. I like weight training and it doesn’t take too long to complete but as far as I know you are only supposed to do it every 48 hours because you need to give your muscles time to repair. So that means I need something to do on the off days, and ideally on the on days as well.
So as you can see, it’s time to start introducing new things. I didn’t see this happening really. I’m now considering what’s on offer at the gym that I could do more of. Their programme and facilities outside of the weights room were of no interest to me three weeks ago but now I see that I need them.
I can’t believe this is happening to me. I am just living in sportswear every single day and signing up for classes in this and that at 7am.
A quick review of the options:
- Running. I need to start doing this again and quit being a wimp just because it’s too hot outside. I can run on the treadmill in the air conditioned gym.
- Yoga. Bloody hell. Stretching blah blah blah.
- Pilates. Have not tried it.
- Various fierce-sounding classes at the gym, such as Body Combat and Body Conditioning. Bah. I can see how I will end up attending some of these.
- Swimming. I can swim but don’t have very good technique re breathing, and you don’t want to be one of those women that swims with their head out of the water.
- Exercise classes in the pool. Sounds nice in this weather.
- Tennis. Con: Would need lessons, probably very expensive. Pro: attractive men plus nice dresses.
- Zumba. Please do not let this happen to me.
I’ll let you know how it turns out. I can’t believe I have to have all this stuff in my life. Jesus Christ.
Points round up for today: 2 (one weights session, one 8-mile walk).