It’s been a horrible day. First I had my hopes of dating crushed and then I went to two different hospitals and had my face crushed. I would like to have a little cry but I daren’t get tears in the hole that had to be cut in my face.
This morning I had a meeting with my periodontist and the implantologist. So yeah, I have been kidding myself about just quickly plugging that one gap with a new tooth and worrying about my deteriorated jaw-bones at some vague time in the future. We aren’t going to worry about disintegrating bones in the future, we are going to start working on them right away. Here is the plan:
– Take away the molar that is next to the gap because it is only hastening my jaw bone erosion. Take away two more molars on the upper jaw on the same side, that have not got enough bone to support them. That’s right folks, they are not going to replace my missing tooth just yet, instead they are going to take out three more teeth leaving me with nothing on one side of my mouth.
– Wait until January ‘for everything to settle down’.
– January 7th. Sinus-lift surgery on the upper jaw, this is a bone-regeneration procedure where they surgically rebuild your jaw bone. On the same day, do implants to replace the now two missing teeth on the lower jaw.
– Wait several more months for the surgically reconstructed bone to establish itself.
– Two implants into the hopefully-regenerated bone on the upper jaw.
– Start work on the left hand side of my mouth.
Apparently I can look forward to a full set of teeth with no gaps around Xmas 2012.
So that’s that, then. No dating for me, for another 15 months. I had fond hopes of kissing the Frenchman but that won’t be happening now. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. I did have a bit of a cry about this on the tube on the way home. Then I went to accident and emergency to get my cyst looked at.
Bigger and bigger it grew. I awoke this morning with a face so full of fluid that I could barely see out of my left eye. The dentists were mildly horrified at our meeting this morning.
I went to the A&E department of the hospital where I am scheduled to have this thing removed from my face and they said ‘oh no, we don’t do facial surgery here, you’ll have to go to this other hospital’. So I went to the other hospital and sat in A&E there, feeling rather ill and trying not to think about my teeth. Eventually I was seen by a very sympathetic face doctor. He razored a hole in my face and then he manipulated and pressed and squeezed my face with all the strength he could muster while blood and fluid ran everywhere.
I have a large purple bruise there now as well as a lump. Despite this, a lot of the swelling has gone out of my face and I can see properly now so that is a bonus. He gave me more antibiotics. I have to go back there in two weeks for more surgery. They will either reopen that hole or make a new one and this time they will take the actual cyst out because all they have done today is emergency drainage.
Now I am home, feeling battered and trying hard not to cry. I am a bit desperate for a cup of tea but I can’t have one because of having my teeth whitened yesterday. My teeth will absorb the colour of anything like that so I’m drinking milk.
I think I will go for a nap. The best thing I can say about today is that it is nearly over.