Phew. I am sweaty and knackered. The exercise area where you use the Swiss balls was littered with loitering teenage boys, uselessly occupying all the mats just to chat amongst themselves, so I stuck to the machines that I know how to use. 20 minutes on the bike, 5-10 minutes on the rower and finally 35 minutes of fast power-walking on the treadmill. 1 Health point.
My muscles are shaking! I just did the full 50 minutes of that Target Toning DVD that I sometimes use, and I can really tell that I have not done it for a few weeks, because I am as weak as a kitten. Well anyway, I made myself do it, even though it is boiling hot weather today, so 1 Health point for that. I also did over three hours of housework (1 Home point) and a supermarket trip. Now I am going to drink lots of water and read my book for half an hour before doing any video gaming.
I can’t help noticing that it has used up the whole day. Gah! Being responsible is rubbish! I could have spent the entire day eating cakes and playing online games.
I am quite a lot heavier than when I got weighed at the gym the other week. According to the scales I have here, I am just two pounds shy of 12 stone. I am shocked. What’s that add up to – 166lbs. I would like to be 9 and a half stone, or 133lbs, as that is the last time I thought I was the right sort of shape, and it is what I weighed when I met my ex-partner. That means I have 33lbs to lose. Dear god in heaven. I am appalled. That does it, I am putting my shoes on and going for a run right now.
Work continued to be impossible this week. It has been impossible for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I simply cannot wait until I get some holiday. Impossible work schedule means this: (i) feel sorry for self; (ii) go to bed extremely late, don’t exercise at all; (iii) eat evening meals in the office, typically fish’n’chips or pizza; (iv) compensate self with alcohol; (v) upon getting a bit of free time, do absolutely nothing.
It has been rubbish. I haven’t scored a single achievement point, I haven’t exercised once this week, I know for a fact that I have gained weight, my house is a tip, I have a pile of unopened post, it is all a bit chaotic. There are a lot of things I’ve wanted to do that have not happened. I even had to postpone my dentist appointment because I was welded to my desk all week.
So that is where we are up to. Added to which, it is hot. It is okay at work because there is air conditioning there but at home it is hot and sticky and that makes me feel like doing nothing, just sitting still next to a fan.
It is time for emergency measures. Today I purchased two items that I swore I would not have in my life. Kitchen scales and bathroom scales.
Bathroom scales because I really need to get slimmer and unfortunately I am not making very good progress. I know I lost some flab for a while there and I also know I have recently gained it back. Therefore, out of desperation, I have finally caved in to the authority of the scale. I am going to weigh myself, work out exactly how many pounds I want to lose, and keep a weekly record. I want to see those numbers going down and not up!!
Kitchen scales because I am terrible at portion control. I swore up and down that I would not become the sort of person who weighs food but unfortunately it is time for that to change. I obviously cannot be trusted to eat sensibly sized meals and therefore I have no option but to let the kitchen scales tell me when enough is enough.
My friend from running … she is 54 and looks 10 years younger. She is really slim. She told me that she lost 2 stone last year and she wasn’t even exercising at the time, it was all through diet. She says it’s not hard and I can easily do it too. I would love to lose 2 stone. I think that is about the amount of weight loss I am looking for here.
Here is my NEW PLAN which starts tomorrow (honest):
- 30 minutes of exercise of some description. Jogging or gym or resistance exercises at home, any one of those three.
- Floss teeth. That needs to be on the list. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for me to miss a day.
- Diet: avoid starchy carbs, sweets and alcohol. Eat sensible portions of vegetables and proteins.
- House: 30 minutes of housework, which can include filing and dealing with bills.
- Hobbies: 30 minutes of some hobby that is not web surfing or video gaming. Examples include reading, knitting, sewing, Chinese.
Twice a week:
- Go to the gym twice a week!! Are you listening Gloria! You want to go the gym, remember? They have exercise bikes, classes, rowing machines and all manner of things that are easier on your poor ankles and knees than road-running. Bloody go! You have to go twice a week to get value for money out of your membership.
That’s it, folks. That is how we are going to get back with the programme. I hope and believe that things are going to calm down at work now this week is over so that should make it easier to do everything. In particular, I see that I will have to return to my old routine of getting up early and exercising in the morning because I am not going to be able to fulfil my evening plans otherwise.
Wish me luck. I’m now going to look for some sort of countdown thing that I can put on this blog to track weight loss.
Ooh, I had such a lazy weekend, so lazy I didn’t even blog. I did a lot of sleeping and I cannot deny that I did a bit of recreational drinking on Saturday as well.
It’s a good job I have my friend from the running group to keep dragging me outside, we went for a short run on Friday (1 Health point) which looked like this:
That’s about the only TLYW-related thing I’ve done all week. I did a bunch of work – we remain busy and my colleague is on holiday. The awkward family situation has not gone away but is getting a bit easier. And that’s all the news. Boring, but we are hanging on in there. I will try to have a more positive and worthwhile week this week. Also, in a couple of days it is time for me to visit the periodontist again and we commence the next stage of dental work, so that ought to keep things interesting.
I am having a weird time. Things that I normally like are behaving strangely.
– Exercise. I haven’t done much. I am resting my ankles. I did go to my new gym yesterday (1 Health point), I don’t really like it that much but then I’ve only been twice, maybe it will get better. I saw a trainer and I’m supposed to do funny exercises with Swiss balls. Meh. I am having a rest from running in the hope that my ankles will recover. I don’t like them being all fluid-y, it is ugly and distressing.
– World of Warcraft. I usually love WoW and it is one my favourite forms of entertainment but right now I am really disappointed with where the game developers are taking it. So disappointed that yesterday I was thatclose to cancelling my account. I am sad. It has been my second home for a long time and the thought of leaving is a wrench, but it is not the town I grew up in.
– Domestic and family stuff. There are things going on with ex family members that are a bit awkward and horrible and that I wish I didn’t have to deal with. The kind of thing that makes you feel all stressed. The kind of thing where you might destress yourself by going for a run or playing some WoW. See above.
I am in a loop of being-at-a-loss and discontent. I don’t know where to turn. I can hear the supermarket’s cake department calling me.